Flute Q&A #9Sep 06, 2021
Your next (excellent!) flute questions have been answered in Flute Q&A #9.
In this Flute Q&A...
Low octave on the flute
- Boston asks: I have a low register problem. When I practice long tones in the low register, starting soft and crescendoing to my maximum volume, the sound breaks into a gurgling broken split fluttery sound. It happens mostly on E and Eb, less as I play D, C# and C.
Just in case a "spit bubble" is your issue Boston, check out this video: https://www.flute.school/blog/how-to-get-rid-of-spit-bubbles Also, if you're keen to do the free mini-course to instantly improve your flute tone, you can register here: https://www.flute.school/free
Breathy flute sound
- Bibi asks: How do you get that breathy noise out of your note?
Bibi, you might want to look at this video about which tone exercises on the flute are best avoided! https://www.flute.school/blog/tone-exercises-to-avoid
Coordinating fingers with playing
- Jean asks: How can you coordinate your fingers and tongue with rapid double tonguing?
Jean, Double Tonguing is the focus of November in The Flute Academy! You can join here: https://www.flute.school/academy
Which Bb flute fingering to use
- Cherie asks: Do you have a guide for when to use each fingering for B Flat?
Cherie, yes! Here's a video answering exactly your question: https://www.flute.school/blog/b-flat-flute-fingering
Improving sight reading
- Jen asks: I've learned so much from the few times I've watched you but where do I go from here? How do I improve on my sight reading and placement of notes?